Cold Brew Coffee
Honu sells our own proprietary Cold Brew coffee, ready to drink or in Concentrate form. We use the Toddy system outlined below to create our cold brew products.
Cold brew coffee replaces heat with time in the extraction process. By eliminating heat, certain oils and fatty acids, which some consider bitter, are not extracted. Cold brew coffee drinkers love its smoothness, bold flavor and flexibility. Many also say that cold brew coffee is easier on their stomachs.
The Toddy Cold Brew System developed by Todd Simpson in 1964 has popularized cold brew coffee and made it easy for both home and cafe.
- On the bottom of the white brewing container, insert the rubber stopper from the outside (this is key).
- Dampen the fabric filter with water and place this in the interior detent of the container.
- Place the container right side up on a flat stable surface (counter) and fill with 6 ounces of coarsely ground coffee similar to what you would use for French Press.
- Slowly add three cups of filtered water in a circular motion to fully saturate the grounds.
- Add the remaining 6 ounces of ground coffee.
- Wait 5 minutes and slowly add another 3 cups of filtered water in a circular motion.
- Lightly press down on the grounds that have floated to the top surface to saturate.
- Do not stir with a spin or aggressively agitate the grounds as it may clog the fabric filter.
- Let steep overnight or for 12-18 hours.
- Remove plug (from the outside) and place the brewing container on top of the glass decanter.
- Let the cold brew coffee flow into the decanter. This can take some time.
- Refrigerate and use for up to two weeks.
You can use the concentrate hot or cold, starting with the ratio of 1 part coffee to 2-3 parts hot or cold water. You can also use milk or other dairy alternatives as you like.